Welcome to the new DJJ Website!
Find out how to use the new site.

For Youth

This page is designed to help youth help themselves. We've provided resources for education, careers, health, records, and other things you will need to know moving forward.

Click on a subject to find out more.

Education Information

  • Interested in taking the GED? Find out where a test is offered near you. 
  • Find Education Transition Contacts in each school district who can help you as you return from DJJ programs to public school. They can assist with transferring educational records, guide you through the transition process, and provide information to other districts on local school options for returning DJJ students. 
  • The Able Trust provides a High School/High Tech program that helps people with disabilities prepare for college and find career in our technologically driven world. 
  • As a student, you have many questions about what your next steps in education will be. Whether you are in middle, high school, or pursuing post-secondary education, the Department of Education site provides lots of resources for you about coursework, financial aid, and much more. 
  • Interested in pursing a college degree with a busy schedule? Take a look at these online opportunities : http://www.onlinecolleges.net/florida/

Health & Safety

  • Teen dating violence is more common than many people realize. Learn the signs of abuse, and discover what you can do to help. 
  • Help protect your family, friends, community, and yourself by actively preventing sexual violence.
  • The Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence contains information on understanding the cycle of domestic violence. It also links families to the nearest local certified domestic violence center as well as other resources. You can also call their hotline at 1-800-500-1119.
  • Are you, or is someone you know, getting bullied? Visit the Stop Bullying website to find information about recognizing warning signs, getting help, preventing bullying, knowing the risk factors, and other helpful information.
  • Teen Health can provide help with fitness, sexual health, drugs and alcohol prevention, safety, and other health tips.
  • Join with Tobacco Free Florida to quit smoking and stand up against the big tobacco companies.
  • Are you, or is someone you care about, battling cancer? It’s not an easy fight, but Teens Living with Cancer can help you live your life to the fullest, even during hard times.
  • The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry has links on this site to Getting Help, Understanding Mental Illness and Speaking up for Yourself and Other Youth
  • SecureFlorida.org has internet safety tips for youth to help them stay safe from internet predators, cyber bullying and other internet hazards
  • The online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner program from the Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies aims to empower girls to take control of their health and answer any questions they may have. The guide is broken into two parts; the first discusses common health concerns that young women may experience, while the second part helps young women advocate for themselves before, during and after health care appointments.

Hotlines & Other Help

  • Abuse and neglect are serious issues that need to be handled with care. In the event of an emergency abuse situation, ALWAYS call 911 FIRST and call the Florida abuse hotline second at 1-800-962-2873. In a non-emergency situation, contact the Florida abuse hotline via phone, fax, or web to report abuse or find assistance. 
  • If you are a runaway who needs help, call 911 FIRST and then the Florida Runaway Hotline at 1-800-621-4000 or the National Runaway Switchboard at 1-800-RUNAWAY for assistance.
  • Having trouble in school or at home? Need help making the right decisions? The following resources can help you successfully transition back into your community. Information especially for youth transitioning from foster care to adulthood is available through Florida’s Children First.
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/  Free phone and chat available 24/7.  In English 1-800-273-TALK (8255)  En Español 1-888-628-9454  Deaf + Hard of hearing - For TTY Users: Use your preferred relay service or dial 711 then 1-800-273-8255
  • Crisis Text Line - https://www.crisistextline.org/  Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7, text-based mental health support and crisis intervention.  Text HOME to 741741 for free, 24/7 crisis counseling
  • Trevor Lifeline/Trevor Chat - https://www.thetrevorproject.org/get-help-now/   The Trevor Project provides free 24/7 crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25.  Crisis Line: 866-488-7386 (Lifeline)  Text Line: 678678 (Text "START" to begin)

ID Cards & Birth Certificates

There are three main documents you will need as you prepare for college, employment, financial assistance or independence, and most other things that come with being an adult: your birth certificate, your Social Security card, and a driver’s license or state issued identification card. Your birth certificate is required to get the ID, and both of those are required to get a Social Security card. 

Visit the links below to find out what documents you need and what steps you must take to get these important documents:

Job Assistance & Training

  • Build up your resume, get career advice, and find a job all online through the Employ Florida Marketplace, Florida’s one-stop resource for employment. 
  • You may be eligible to receive tutoring, occupational skills training and other services.  Find out more through documents provided by DJJ and the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity. Contact your local One-Stop Career Center for more information on employment opportunities.
  • At Youthhood, you can start thinking about what you want to do with the rest of your life. What will you do after high school? Want to go to college? Live in a place of your own? By using this website you can plan for your future right now! 
  • Job Corps is a youth vocational training and job placement program available to youth who have completed post commitment services and have no further court involvement. Find more information on the Job Corps program, eligibility and center location.
  • Still don’t know what you want to do in the future? Find out your job interests and explore career possibilities through an online assessment tool or through the Career Cruiser career and education planning guide. 
  • FYI Transition provides resources for students transitioning into young adulthood. Learn about budgeting, independent living, health, explore your personal interests and build skills for new career paths. It is mainly for students with disabilities, but the life skills information is useful for all youth. 
  • Use People First to find a job working for the Florida government. 
  • NISH provides information, training, and employment opportunities to people with significant disabilities.  
  • Disability.gov provides comprehensive information for people with disabilities such as government benefits, job training, scholarships and grants, housing, and employment. 

Record Information

Youth arrest records are in the custody of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE). Criminal history records may be sealed (kept confidential) or expunged (destroyed) as governed by Ch. 943, F.S., which is administered by FDLE. 

While juvenile records are considered confidential, they are not automatically sealed and, in many instances, can be accessed by the general public through local law enforcement. For many situations, the subject of a sealed or expunged record may lawfully deny, or fail to acknowledge, arrests that are covered by the sealing or expunction. 

Generally speaking, youth can have most misdemeanors (and some felonies) sealed and most misdemeanors expunged after successful completion of a diversion program that expressly authorizes that action.


To learn more about requesting your records be expunged or sealed, as well as the application process you must follow, view the FDLE links below.  


  • The FDLE website provides instructions on how to have a juvenile record expunged. 
  • The application to have a record expunged or sealed can be found at the FDLE website.
  • The FDLE also answers Frequently Asked Questions about expunging or sealing records. 

Scholarships & Financial Aid

  • Youth Investment Awards, available through the Florida Juvenile Justice Foundation, can help you pay for tuition, school supplies, transportation, and other things you need to help you achieve your academic and career goals. Find out if you are eligible and apply online today!
  • Federal student aid from the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) is the largest source of aid in America, providing funds for grants, work-study, and federal loans for students attending four-year colleges or universities, community colleges, and career schools. Learn more on the types of aid available, how to apply, and more through FAFSA, Student Aid, and the U.S. DOE website.
  • Use Fast Web to do a free online search for available scholarships. 

Transition Assistance

  • The Salvation Army offers social services that provide for basic human needs. They have various programs and levels of service; some offerings include food, clothing, shelter, childcare, medical assistance, counseling, job training, substance abuse treatment, and much more.
  • The Independent Living Program provides services to youth in foster care and young adults who were formerly in foster care. Examples of services are parenting classes, career counseling, therapy and psychological counseling, and assistance with time management and organization. 
  • National Safe Place, Where kids get help…FAST! If there is not a Safe Place program near you and you are in trouble or need help, text SAFE (plus your current location) to 69866!
  • Florida HATS helps youth transition from pediatric to adult health care. This site links you to medical facilities and provides tips for speaking for yourself and managing your own healthcare.