Welcome to the new DJJ Website!
Find out how to use the new site.

Probation & Community Intervention


  • Q: What is Juvenile Probation?
    A: Probation is a supervision program created by law, which is ordered by the court in cases involving a youth who is found to have committed a delinquent act. Probation is a legal status in which the freedom of the youth is limited and the youth’s activities are restricted in lieu of commitment to the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice.
  • Q: How is a youth referred to the Department of Juvenile Justice?
    A: Law enforcement agency charges youth with law violation. Depending on the seriousness of the offense and the law enforcement officer's view of what is needed to appropriately address the offense, the next step may be:
    • Deliver youth to a Juvenile Assessment Center (JAC) for intake screening to further assess youth's risk to the community and determine if some type of detention is necessary.
    • Call an "on call screener" to assess youth's risk and determine if detention is necessary (this is done in localities where a JAC is not available).
    • Release youth to a parent or guardian and forward the charges to the local clerk of court and DJJ Probation office.
    • Release the youth to parent or guardian with a direct referral to a "diversion program".
  • Q: My child was taken into custody (arrested) by law enforcement. What happens now?
    A: After a law enforcement agency charges your child with a law violation, depending on the seriousness of the offense and the law enforcement officer's view of what is needed to appropriately address the offense, the next steps may be:
    • Your child is taken to a Juvenile Assessment Center (JAC) or a Juvenile Detention Center for detention intake screening.
    • Screening assesses the risk your child may pose to the community and determines if some type of detention is necessary.
    • Your child may be released to you or placed in a secure facility depending on the outcome of a detention risk assessment.
    • Your child may be released to you with a direct referral to a diversion program.
    • Charges are forwarded to the Clerk of the Court and the Probation Office.
  • Q: How do I contact the Juvenile Assessment Center?
    A: Click on the following to find the JAC center in your area: Juvenile Assessment Center (JAC).
  • Q: My child was taken into custody (arrested) by law enforcement. How long after being taken into custody can I see my child?
    A: Depending on the detention screening assessment your child may be released to your custody or placed in a secure facility pending a court hearing.  You must contact the detention facility, and ask for the designated visiting hours. Special requests may be made through the youth’s case manager and/or program superintendent.
  • Q: What is a Juvenile Probation Officer and what does one do?
    A: A Juvenile Probation Officer (JPO) provides important services:
    • Initial intake service on referrals from law enforcement for youth under the age of 18 at the time the offense was committed.
    • Assessment(s) and referrals for services based on youth risk and needs.
    • Community-based intervention services that may include supervision.
  • Q: How do I contact a JPO?
    A: You may find contact information at the following link  Juvenile Probation Officer  Supervisor Contacts to search by county and city or refer to the Probation Leadership Main Directory  for contact information.
  • Q: Why is my child assigned a JPO?
    A: A JPO is assigned to all youth referred to DJJ.  This does not mean that your child is or will be on probation.

    A JPO is the front-line staff member who delivers case management services to your child and your family.  For the most part, your child’s JPO is the single-point of contact for you and your child as your child’s case moves through the juvenile justice system.

    The JPO is the staff member who recommends how to handle your child’s law violation, which may range from a non-judicial diversion program, probation supervision, or commitment, including residential commitment.

    If your child goes to a residential commitment program, then your single-point of contact during that time will be your child’s residential social worker who is a member of the treatment team at the residential program.

Civil Citation

  • Q: What will a youth who receives a civil citation or similar prearrest diversion (CC/PAD) be required to do?
    A: The youth will be assessed and receive services to address identified risk factors that may include family counseling, drug screening, substance abuse treatment, or mental health treatment. Additional sanctions or services considered at the local level could include a letter of apology to the victim, restitution, school progress monitoring, or prevocational skill services.
  • Q: Is there a fiscal impact or a cost to implement CC/PAD?
    A: Any implementation costs should be low because CC/PAD works through diversion programs existing in a community such as those already operated by sheriffs, state attorneys, or teen courts.
  • Q: What is a CC/PAD? What are the advantages to having a civil citation or similar prearrest diversion program?
    A: Civil citation or similar prearrest diversion is a mechanism for first time misdemeanants to enter a structured community diversion program with no arrest record upon successful completion. Youth and their families benefit from services that target specific risk factors. Because CC/PAD has the lowest recidivism in the DJJ continuum of services youth, families and communities benefit from fewer future arrests.
  • Q: Are we required to have a CC/PAD program even though our county has other diversionary programs?
    A: In s. 985.12, F.S., the Legislature encourages but does not mandate that counties, municipalities, or educational institutions participate in CC/PAD.
  • Q: Is a youth who successfully completes CC/PAD for a misdemeanor offense and is later arrested for a misdemeanor or felony eligible for a subsequent civil citation or similar prearrest diversion?
    A: Section 985.12, F. S. (click here), specifies that misdemeanor offenses are eligible for CC/PAD and that statutory stakeholders in each circuit set eligibility standards. Subsequent civil citation or similar prearrest opportunities, whether youth are required to guilt, and the timeframe for youth to make initial contact with the program are examples of decisions that may be made by a circuit’s statutory stakeholders.
  • Q: Can a youth receive a second or third citation while completing sanctions for a prior civil CC/PAD?
    A: Yes, if the circuit statutory stakeholders agree.
  • Q: Who are the CC/PAD circuit statutory stakeholders and what are their responsibilities?
    A: Effective July 1, 2018, the state attorney, public defender, clerk of the court for each county in the circuit, and representatives of participating law enforcement agencies in the circuit shall create a circuit CC/PAD program and create its policies and procedures including eligibility criteria, implementation and operation, and program requirements. Program requirements include but are not limited to the completion of community service hours, intervention services, and a program fee, if any, to be paid by the youth. The circuit program will be operated by the state attorney.
  • Q: May existing CC/PAD programs continue to operate independent of the circuit program?
    A: Yes. Programs in existence on October 1, 2018 may continue to operate as an independent program upon state attorney determination that the program is in substantial compliance to the circuit program.
  • Q: Will a needs assessment be conducted on a youth for every CC/PAD issued?
    A: Yes.
  • Q: My program has a youth assessment process in place. May we continue to use it?
    A: Effective July 11, 2018, juvenile needs assessment tools must be approved by DJJ. Assessments should be submitted to Amy.Greenwald@djj.state.fl.us for review.
  • Q: What assessments have been approved by the DJJ?
    A: The Prevention Assessment Tool (PAT), the GAIN-Q3, and the Biopsychosocial assessment.
  • Q: How long will an assessment be good for on a youth?
    A: The assessment is good for the time a youth is in CC/PAD, which is typically 90 days.
  • Q: Is there a follow-up assessment for youth to show if there have been substantial changes in the youth’s life or family since the previous assessment?
    A: An exit assessment is not required for CC/PAD youth.
  • Q: Are CC/PAD programs that enter youth data weekly in the Juvenile Justice Information System Prevention Web required to submit a quarterly report of youth served pursuant to s. 985.126, F. S.?
    A: No, the quarterly report is not necessary if youth data is entered in the Prevention Web weekly.
  • Q: Is a youth with a prior misdemeanor or felony referral that was non-filed, nolle prossed, or diverted eligible for CC/PAD?
    A: Youth with a prior charge that was nolle prossed without sanctions or not filed will be reflected as eligible on the CC/PAD dashboard providing there are no other priors in the youth’s history. Click here to see the Department’s interactive CC/PAD dashboard.
  • Q: Is a youth whose record was expunged eligible for CC/PAD?
    A: Yes.
  • Q: Can a youth in a post-arrest diversion program or on probation receive a civil citation or similar prearrest diversion?
    A: Eligibility is determined by stakeholders in each judicial circuit. DJJ does not reflect youth with an arrest history as eligible for CC/PAD on the dashboard.
  • Q: Are sexting offenses eligible for CC/PAD?
    A: First time sexting offenses are not eligible for CC/PAD. Under s. 847.0141, F.S., (click here) first time sexting offenders have defined sanctions that are not compatible with CC/PAD.
  • Q: Are noncriminal traffic violations eligible for civil citation or similar prearrest diversion?
    A: No. CC/PAD is an option for youth charged with a criminal traffic violation which is punishable as a misdemeanor offense. Examples of criminal traffic violations include driving under the influence, reckless driving, driving with a suspended license, and leaving the scene of an accident with property damage.
  • Q: Is a youth with a prior referral that was non-filed or nolle prossed required to disclose the prior
    A: A youth who has successfully completed CC/PAD has no criminal history record and is not required to disclose the CC/PAD. A youth with a charge that was non-filed or nolle prossed may need to disclose depending on how the information is requested.
  • Q: Is a local agency required to disclose to the military if a youth had a prior charge that was nolle prossed or non-filed? And how should they respond to military requests?
    A: The Department discloses delinquency records related to a nolle prossed or non-filed charge to the military; however, whether this is required of a local agency is a matter for the service branch to determine in their dealings with the local agency.
  • Q: Our state attorney’s office has agreed to divert a youth to CC/PAD who was arrested on an eligible offense. How can the initial arrest be cleared or purged from the criminal history databases?
    A: If a state attorney decides not to file charges, either by dismissing the case or referring the youth to a diversion or civil citation program, the Department will immediately remove the youth’s entire delinquency record from JJIS and input it into Prevention Web as a civil citation case. In the event a criminal record has been created by the submission of fingerprints to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE), a youth who successfully completes CC/PAD may petition for the criminal record to be expunged. Information about expunging or sealing records is available on the FDLE website (click here).
  • Q: In extenuating circumstances, can a youth otherwise eligible for CC/PAD who has a prior record be served by civil citation or similar prearrest diversion?
    A: Yes, the state attorney’s office may direct the child be referred for CC/PAD if it is in the best interest of the child and the public
  • Q: Where can I find Chapter 2018-127, Laws of Florida (Senate Bill 1392)?

    For Chapter Law 2018-127, click here.

    To see revised s. 985.12, Civil citation or similar prearrest diversion, F.S., click here.

    To see s. 985.126, Diversion programs; data collection; denial of participation or expunged record, click here.

  • Q: Where can I find information about CC/PAD and outcome information?
    A: The CC/PAD Webpage, which is available here, includes links to the best practice guide, presentations, brochures, circuit program information. and other data. The CC/PAD Dashboard tracks utilization data and outcomes and is available here. The annual Comprehensive Accountability Report tracks recidivism data and is accessible here.
  • Q: How will civil citation or similar prearrest diversion benefit public safety? Will it give kids who commit crimes a slap on the wrist?
    A: Research has shown that detained youth are more likely than non-detained youth to end up deeper in the system. Addressing behavioral needs of these youth at their first contact with the juvenile justice system and helping overcome that behavior enhances public safety, protects the futures of first time offenders who stay out of trouble, and avoids significant costs to the state by decreasing the likelihood youth will reoffend as a youth or as an adult.

Intake Process

  • Q: What is the Intake Process?
    A: An "Intake" Juvenile Probation Officer receives a copy of the charge from law enforcement or the clerk of the court. The Juvenile Probation Officer (JPO) will contact the youth and family and conduct an interview to gather information about the youth and family. The purpose of the intake process is for the juvenile probation officer (JPO) to assess the youth’s risk and needs to determine the most appropriate recommendations for services by considering the interests of the youth, parent(s)/guardian(s), victim, and community. The assessment information is collected through interviews, observations and interactions with the youth and the family. Information is also obtained from the complainant, the victim, school officials and other individuals and agencies associated with the youth and family. The intake assessment process initially results in a recommendation to the state attorney and, if necessary, a written report to the court or the Predisposition Report. The intake process assists the JPO in choosing the most appropriate recommendation for services that balances the needs and interest of the youth, family, the victim, and the community as a whole.
  • Q: Will my child be required to take a DNA test?
    A: Effective September 1, 2011, deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) sample collection is required in accordance with § 943.325, F.S. >>update link<<at disposition. In your child’s case, DNA collection is required for felonies and certain misdemeanors once your child has been arrested by law enforcement—even if your child’s case has not gone before a judge. Being found guilty of certain felony offenses may result in a court order that your child must cooperate with DNA testing.  DNA test results are kept on file with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE).
  • Q: What is the CAT and how is it used to help my child?
    A: The Community Assessment Tool (CAT) is used to assess a delinquent youth’s risks and needs and guides treatment recommendations. The assessment process begins with a CAT Pre-Screen interview administered to all youth referred to DJJ. The initial assessment takes approximately 20-25 minutes to complete. A single CAT Pre-Screen interview at intake assists the Juvenile Probation Officer to identify if a youth is in need of further mental health, alcohol, or substance abuse assessment. A more detailed assessment (called the CAT Full Assessment) is given to youth who score at Moderate-High or High risk to re-offend on the CAT Pre-Screen. Information from the CAT Full Assessment can be used to develop plans specific to the youth’s identified needs. The Department calls this plan the Youth Empowered Success (YES) Plan.
    The CAT also identifies those strengths (or protective factors) that can be built upon to turn the youth’s life around. The benefit of measuring risk factors and protective factors is that juvenile justice professionals involved with a particular youth are better able to match a child’s current needs with the right programs and services. CAT Reassessments are completed periodically to help the Juvenile Probation Officer and other professionals measure the progress that the youth is making on addressing factors related to delinquent behavior.
  • Q: What is a YES Plan?
    A: The Youth-Empowered Success (YES) Plan assist the Juvenile Probation Officers and contracted case managers to use the information gathered through the PACT assessment to establish meaningful goals and actions in collaboration with the youth and family.

Judicial Process

  • Q: What is Non-Judicial Intervention?
    A: The recommendation presented by the Juvenile Probation Officer to the state attorney may recommend a "non-judicial" diversion program. If this recommendation is approved by the state attorney, the youth and guardian may be required to sign a "waiver of speedy trial" agreement. With this agreement the youth and family agree to waive their right to a speedy trial with the understanding that the youth will complete all the requirements of the diversion program.

    If the youth successfully completes the program, no further action (no judicial action) will be pursued by the state attorney. However, if the youth fails to complete the program, the state attorney will file a petition with the juvenile division of the circuit court, formally charging the youth with the delinquent offense.

  • Q: What is a diversion program?
    A: A diversion program is a form of non-judicial handling of your child’s case. Rather than going to court the JPO may recommend your child receive help through a diversion program.

    If your child successfully completes the program, no further court action will be pursued. However, if your child does not complete the diversion program, the State Attorney may file a petition with the Juvenile Division of the Circuit Court (Juvenile Court), formally charging your child with the delinquent offense.

  • Q: What is Juvenile Court or a “recommendation for court intervention?
    A: After gathering all of the necessary information and assessments, your child’s JPO may recommend that the State Attorney’s Office formally charge your child with a delinquent offense. This is a “recommendation for court intervention.” A recommendation for court intervention may include adult prosecution, if the offense is very serious or if your child has a history of law violations (habitual offender).

    If the State Attorney files a delinquency petition based on the charge it is sent to the Juvenile Division of the Circuit Court. This special division of the Court hears juvenile cases of law violations.

    Your child’s JPO cannot recommend a diversion program for your child after the case has been tried in Juvenile Court.

    If your child has committed a serious offense or is a habitual offender, the JPO’s recommendation may include prosecution of your child in Adult Court.

    Your child cannot be tried as an adult after being tried as a juvenile for the same crime.

  • Q: What happens if my child is referred to Adult Court?
    A: With certain felony offenses, the law may require that your child’s law violation is heard in Adult Court. Your child’s case may be sent to the Adult Criminal Division of the Circuit Court (Adult Court) by “direct file,” “waiver,” or “indictment.” In these circumstances, it is possible that your child would be tried as an adult for the offense and receive adult sentencing.

    When this happens, the Florida Department of Corrections is involved in your child’s case, giving recommendations to Adult Court.

    In some circumstances, a juvenile may be found guilty in Adult Court but sentenced back to DJJ for sanctions to be carried out or for commitment to a residential program.

  • Q: Does the JPO make a recommendation to the court for disposition?
    A: If a petition is filed in court, the Juvenile Probation Officer will present a recommendation to the court that considers risk, accountability and individual needs. This recommendation may range from a court ordered diversion or plan to probation to residential commitment.
  • Q: What is Redirection?
    A: Redirection is a specialized approach that was established by the Florida Legislature to use community-based alternatives instead of residential commitment for those youth with serious emotional disturbances and/or substance abuse-related disorders and meeting certain criterion. Services use evidence based practices and can be offered to youth to prevent further delinquency that could lead to a residential placement. These services are offered in communities across the state and allow the youth and family to participate in one of the following therapies: Functional Family Therapy (FFT) or Multi-Systemic Therapy (MST), Brief Strategic Therapy (BFST) or Parenting with Love and Limits (PLL).
  • Q: What is the difference between adjudicated and adjudication withheld?
    A: If your child is “adjudicated” then a judge has ruled that your child committed a delinquent act or violation of law and is therefore adjudicated delinquent. If your child has “adjudication withheld,” then a judge similarly concluded that your child committed a delinquent act or violation of law, but a formal pronouncement of delinquency should be withheld. Adjudication is significant, not simply due to the formal pronouncement of delinquency, but because only adjudicated delinquent youths may be committed to the Department.
  • Q: How long will my child be on probation?
    A: Only the court can terminate a youth’s probation supervision. Once your child has completed all court-ordered sanctions and met all of his treatment goals, the JPO will recommend to the court the termination of his probation. If your child is “adjudicated delinquent” by the court, the maximum term of supervision is limited by the maximum term applicable to the degree of the offense (e.g., 1 year for a first-degree misdemeanor). An exception exists for second-degree misdemeanors, which have a maximum supervisory term of 6 months, as opposed to the ordinary statutory maximum of 60 days. If your child has “adjudication withheld,” then the maximum term of supervision is not limited by the degree of the offense. However, whether your child is adjudicated or has adjudication withheld, supervision cannot extend beyond his or her 19th birthday.


  • Q: Will my child be placed on supervision after leaving a residential commitment program?
    A: Upon completion of a residential commitment program your child will probably be expected to cooperate with “conditional release” or some type of "supervised aftercare." This is similar to being on probation except that your child is still committed to DJJ. Thus, he could be returned to a residential commitment facility for violating the terms of his supervision. This is done administratively without further order of the court. Another type of supervision after completion of a residential commitment program is post-commitment probation. Violations of post-commitment supervision are heard by the Circuit Court.
  • Q: What is transition?
    A: Transition is a collaborative process in which each youth is linked with the appropriate services to successfully re-integrate back into the community following residential placement.
  • Q: If the court orders my child to pay restitution, what does that mean and how are payments made?
    A: The court may determine that your child or additional co-defendants are “jointly” responsible for damages caused in the offense that led to your child’s arrest. As a result, the court may order your child to pay for those damages (pay restitution) to the victim of that crime. In the case of joint responsibility for damages, each co-defendant(s) will share responsibility for paying restitution. If the other co-defendant(s) do not pay their share of the damages, then your child may be responsible to pay all of the restitution.

    Restitution payments and other court fees are payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court. Under no circumstances are DJJ employees or contracted agents authorized to accept restitution payments in any form.  Do not give restitution money to your child’s JPO or other contracted agent providing supervision of your child.

Parental Responsibilities

  • Q: What are my responsibilities if my child is on probation or supervision?
    A: We need your help to ensure that your child’s needs are being met and to ensure that he is successful in achieving the treatment goals and sanctions in the court order. You can help ensure your child’s success by doing the following:
    • Maintain regular contact with your child’s JPO and keep him informed of your child’s successes and struggles while on probation or supervision. The more information the JPO has, the better able we are to meet your child’s needs and help them succeed.
    • Cooperate with school officials to help your child stay on task academically. Share concerns of poor attendance, performance, or behavior with your child’s JPO so the right steps can be taken to help your child succeed in school.
    • Attend all court proceedings with your child.
    • Ensure that you, your child and your family members attend any required counseling or therapy.
    • Arrange for your child’s transportation to counseling, employment, community service work sites, and home from the residential commitment program. If transportation is a problem, contact your child’s JPO to discuss transportation options.
    • Ensure that your child completes court-ordered goals and sanctions within the established timeframes.
    • Provide a home for your child that is safe, nurturing and recognizes your child’s strengths and successes.
  • Q: My son or daughter is on Probation and did not come home last night; I think he or she might have run away. What do I do?
    A: If you do not know the whereabouts of your child or you suspect he or she has runaway, call the police immediately and place a missing persons report. Be ready to give all pertinent information including: description, height, weight, date of birth, current address, legal status (Probation, pre-placement supervision, conditional release) date and time last seen. Then, call the assigned Juvenile Probation Officer. The juvenile Probation officer will confirm that the youth is missing and ask the court to issue an Order to Take into Custody. Your child will have a court appearance within 24 hours of the time he or she is apprehended. If your child did not run away, but was gone from the home for a short period of time without permission and has returned, please call law enforcement and your Juvenile Probation Officer to update them of his or her safe return.
  • Q: What happens if I violate Probation?
    A: When a youth is placed on probation, he or she is assigned a Juvenile Probation Officer (JPO), who monitors compliance with the court-ordered sanctions and services. The court order also specifies that the child’s parent/guardian "shall report violations of this order by the child to the JPO and to the court". Therefore, the Juvenile Probation Officer and the parent/guardian will work together to enforce the court order. If the youth violates the conditions of probation or fails to complete the sanctions imposed by the court, a Violation of Probation will be filed. If the court finds that a violation of probation occurred, it may revoke probation and impose a sentence such as placement in a Department of Juvenile Justice residential facility.
  • Q: What about court fees and “cost of care?”
    A: In certain circumstances that your child’s JPO can explain to you, you and your child may be responsible for costs. These costs may include court fees and, if your child is or was in the custody of DJJ for detention or commitment, the costs may include a per-day charge for your child’s cost of care while in DJJ custody.


  • Q: Will my child have a criminal record?
    A: Your child will have a delinquency record and there will be a record of his arrest even if he is not “adjudicated” or if “adjudication is withheld.” FDLE is the official keeper of criminal history records in the State of Florida per Ch. 943, F.S., and as such collects, processes, stores, maintains and disseminates criminal justice information and records that includes records on minors.
  • Q: How can I have my child’s juvenile record sealed or expunged?
    A: Your child’s criminal history records may be sealed (kept confidential) or expunged (destroyed) as governed by Ch. 943, F.S., which is administered by FDLE.

    While juvenile records are considered confidential, they are not automatically sealed and—in many instances—can be accessed by the general public through local law enforcement. For most, but not all purposes, the subject of a sealed or expunged criminal history record may lawfully deny or fail to acknowledge arrests that are covered by the sealing or expunction.

    Generally speaking, juveniles can have most misdemeanors (and some felonies) sealed and most misdemeanors expunged after successful completion of a diversion program that expressly authorizes that to be done.

    A fingerprint card and application, along with a fee, must be submitted to FDLE after the State Attorney’s Office certifies statutory eligibility (for expunctions). After FDLE issues a certification of eligibility, a petition is filed with the court to have the record sealed or expunged. A lawyer may assist you in this process.

  • Q: When my child fills out an application for employment or school, is it necessary to disclose the child’s juvenile arrest record?
    A: Depending on the wording of the employment or school application, your child must disclose his arrest history unless the record has been sealed or expunged by court order.

    According to Florida law, your child can deny any arrest covered by a sealed or expunged record. However, §943.0585 and §943.059, F.S., impose certain exceptions that require acknowledgement of arrests when, for example, the individual seeks employment with a criminal justice agency, a licensed child care facility, and other sensitive positions.

  • Q: What must my child know about completing an employment application?
    A: It is essential to give complete and accurate information on an employment application. Most applications ask, “Have you ever been convicted of a felony?”

    A conviction is a term applicable to a child who has been tried and convicted or pleads guilty in Adult Court.

    If your child pleads guilty or is found guilty as a juvenile in Juvenile Court, it is an adjudication of delinquency and not deemed a conviction §985.35(6), F.S.

    However, this does not mean that your child’s potential employer will not find out about his juvenile arrest record. Most employers conduct a comprehensive background search that is completed by FDLE, the state agency that keeps all records of criminal history in the State of Florida. A copy of this criminal record can be obtained from FDLE.

Interstate Compact

  • Q: What is the Interstate Compact for Juvenile Offenders?
    A: The Interstate Compact for Juvenile (ICJ) offenders provides a legal means of transferring the supervision of youth from one state to another and returning runaways.
  • Q: I live in Florida and need to move to another state. What is the process?
    A: Youth who are on probation or “parole” (see below) in Florida and need to relocate to another state (receiving state) must request a transfer through their juvenile probation officer in Florida. Once the receiving state agrees to the transfer request and supervision, the youth is allowed to relocate.
  • Q: I need to move to Florida. What is the process?
    A: Youth who are on probation or “parole” (see below) in another state (sending state) and need to move to Florida must ask their juvenile probation officer to submit an application for services and request that Florida accept their transfer and agree to supervise them. Once the request for transfer and supervision is approved by Florida, the youth may relocate.
  • Q: How many days in advance is the transfer request submitted?
    A: The requests must be submitted to the ICJ Office 60 days prior to the youth’s anticipated release date from a residential commitment program or on post commitment probation or conditional release.
  • Q: What if I have already moved from Florida to another state (the receiving state)?
    A: The Florida juvenile probation officer must maintain contact with the youth until supervision is accepted in the receiving state.
  • Q: What type of youth is classified as a parolee under the Compact?
    A: To maintain uniformity with other states, any youth committed to a residential program or released in the community on post commitment probation or conditional release is considered a “parolee”.
  • Q: Can a parolee relocate to another state prior to receiving an acceptance letter?
    A: No parolee shall relocate out-of-state prior to receiving an acceptance notification from the receiving state.
  • Q: Do I need to ask for a travel permit to visit or relocate to another state?
    A: Yes. Youth must ask the juvenile probation officer for a travel permit and the officer will submit the request to the ICJ Office prior to the youth relocating or visiting another state.
  • Q: For how many days can a travel permit be issued?
    A: A travel permit can be issued up to 90 calendar days.
  • Q: What happens to an out-of-state runaway is picked up by the police?
    A: Out-of-state runaways shall be held in secure facilities. The youth must be brought before a judge within 24 hours of detainment for Consent for Voluntary Return of Runaway, Escapee or Absconder wavier.
  • Q: How many days do the home/demanding states have to return the youth?
    A: Once the youth and judge sign the voluntary waiver, the home/demanding state has five business days to return the youth.
  • Q: What situations require the return of a youth?
    A: A non-delinquent youth runs away to another state; a youth is an escapee, absconder, or accused delinquent and flees to another state; or a youth under Compact supervision has a failed placement.